This week Google created a pretty phresh doodle to celebrate the life of Martha Graham a great American Dancer. I was struck by the animated doodle but even more moved by words of motivation the dancer provided to one of her proteges. The words are found on Ms. Graham's Wikipedia page and are as follows:
The quote gets a little strange at the end so I took a few liberties ;) noted by italicized words and elipses. With that said I believe the quote remains relevant. My call to action that goes along with my weekly installment of hip-hop homework is that we all would find a way to share your artistry, skills, passions, and/or talents with a young person. I ask that you would not just do it this weekend, but that you would make a frequent practice of it. Making your goal to change the life of at least one young person. If you can not think of a young person who you would like to mentor may I suggest two excellent programs that could assist you in that area.
1. The Big Brother Big Sister Program: http://www.bbbs.org/
2. The Boys & Girls Clubs of America: http://www.bgca.org/whywecare/Pages/MakeADifference.aspx
I can not impress upon you the magnitude of the impact you could have on a young one. The stories of misguided youth flood our TVs and computer screens on a daily basis. Stories that with your assistance could be turned into reports of triumph and positivity. And trust me knowing that you are a part of such a transition is nothing short of rewarding. So with that I leave you the challenge of becoming an active and constant force in a young person's life. I also leave you with a few tracks that hopefully provide you some musical enjoyment.
Peace,
P
No comments:
Post a Comment