
The other day I saw something beautiful unfold in a classroom that I was observing. A child came to school, dropped off by her dad, and obviously reluctant to separate from him. The teacher greeted her and dad warmly, and as dad departed, took the child by her hand. She then led her to the sink to wash hands before beginning the day . When asked what area she would like to choose to work in (the other children were already busily engaged having arrived earlier), this child did the classic pose of non-compliance; she turned her back to the teacher, raised one shoulder, and tilted her head as if to meet it, in a kind of fixed shrug. Seeing this, another teacher called the child over saying “You know what? I need a hug. Could you give me a hug?” And the child came; came to give and came to receive. From there she joined in classroom activities eagerly and with enthusiasm.
At least at this school, staff are not afraid to give warm, positive attention to a child who seeks it, no matter how the request is made.
How many children across this nation have their need for attention, for acknowledgement, met in such a warm and respectful way? How many teachers recognize their own potential for setting a positive tone for the child’s day at school?
It is encouraging to know that at least at this school, at least for these children, an environment has been prepared that respectfully and lovingly welcomes them, not for past behaviors or accomplishments, but simply because they are here.
Ann Oluremi Oliver
I swear I commented on how awesome this was already. I am really glad that the teachers at this school get it. Kids need love, and an educator willing to find any excuse to give them that love they need. Great Post!
ReplyDelete