There is a story told about a boy walking along the seashore picking up starfish that have washed up on the sand. The boy was throwing the starfish one-by-one back into the ocean, likely saving a starfish life with each heave. A man came along and asked the boy, "Why are you throwing those starfish back into the water? There are miles of them that have washed on to the shore; you'll never make a difference." The boy looked up at the man after throwing one of the starfish back into the ocean and said "I just made a difference for that one."
I write this post as I think about my little brother from the Big Brother Big Sister program. I won't get into the specifics of his situation, I'll just say I could imagine a man coming along looking at the situation and whispering to me you'll never make a difference here. In this situation suggesting that my proverbial arm of influence and my Little's inner strength would never be enough to land him back into the ocean of success.
I say that because the man whispering in my ear is me. I hear those people questioning the amount of effort I have poured into students past. Those that say the issues of the education system are intractable. People who would suggest that the social structures and inequities of the day are insurmountable. These voices get you, they fester and build in your mind and unfortunately become your own. However, I can't allow these voices to ring louder than those that come from my soul. I will not allow doubt to cast a shadow of darkness on to my approach and on this young man's life. Because, as the young boy from the parable insinuated if it is just one life I impact then for that one life my labor was justified.
To all my educators, mentors, counselors, advocates and peace pushers. I say to you I am here with you fighting in this struggle and I believe in your work. I know that we are on a mission that some would characterize as impossible. But I also know that each of us can think back on a time where impossible fell to effort, consistency, and sheer dogged determination. Never give up, never let those voices take over. Your efforts are seen, felt and appreciated.
#GrindTillWeShine
Pperiod out....
I write this post as I think about my little brother from the Big Brother Big Sister program. I won't get into the specifics of his situation, I'll just say I could imagine a man coming along looking at the situation and whispering to me you'll never make a difference here. In this situation suggesting that my proverbial arm of influence and my Little's inner strength would never be enough to land him back into the ocean of success.
I say that because the man whispering in my ear is me. I hear those people questioning the amount of effort I have poured into students past. Those that say the issues of the education system are intractable. People who would suggest that the social structures and inequities of the day are insurmountable. These voices get you, they fester and build in your mind and unfortunately become your own. However, I can't allow these voices to ring louder than those that come from my soul. I will not allow doubt to cast a shadow of darkness on to my approach and on this young man's life. Because, as the young boy from the parable insinuated if it is just one life I impact then for that one life my labor was justified.
To all my educators, mentors, counselors, advocates and peace pushers. I say to you I am here with you fighting in this struggle and I believe in your work. I know that we are on a mission that some would characterize as impossible. But I also know that each of us can think back on a time where impossible fell to effort, consistency, and sheer dogged determination. Never give up, never let those voices take over. Your efforts are seen, felt and appreciated.
#GrindTillWeShine
Pperiod out....
Wonderful post- I completely emphasize. Thanks for the positivity!
ReplyDelete