Monday, December 17, 2012

Matching the Beat to Voice: A Model for the Classroom?

In education we all take different approaches, but often times while in the classroom I found some of my greatest tactics and instructional ideas came while attempting to explain a concept to a student.   The  moment when you are attempting to explain an idea that you thought would be clear, but the students across from you are peering back with the blankest of stares.  This of course is a critical time, a moment in which you know a window of opportunity is quickly closing.  However, in those moments often times I felt the most inspired to derive an example, modification, story, puzzle, activity, whatever it was that I could dream up to get that lightbulb to go off.  Which brings me to the inspiration for this post...

While visiting one of my more preferred HipHop blogs (2dopeboyz.com) I noticed a youtube clip of Pusha T speaking about the difference between working with Pharrell and Kanye.  I was intrigued to say the least.  Since fall 2011, when Kanye's album 'My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy' dropped I thought he had found a unique ability to match songs to particular voices (also heard in many of his G.O.O.D Friday tracks from that year).  In particular, one song 'Chrisitan Dior Deniem Flow' it seems as if the artist like Lloyd Banks and Kid Cudi where used as instruments more than vocal features.  Or in more recent songs like 'Mercy' and 'I Don't Like' you can hear where the production seems to clearly be tailored to various artist's verses.  Anyway let me not give it away check out the video...


So you see where the magic happens.  Kanye frequently tailors the music to the artist interpretations of a basic musical beat and then on top of that creates a song that embellishes the artist vision and I would add elements that also enhance their voice. This process reminds me of awesome moments I have seen in classrooms where teachers can take a student's initial thoughts on the basics of a concept and work those ideas into a well constructed understanding of a complex concept for the student.   Sometimes this happens quickly, but sometimes it takes time.

P Period out...

No comments:

Post a Comment