Thursday, January 7, 2010

Think like a Baby...Learn like a Baby


An interesting conversation arouse during my first day back from Christmas break with my new set of students. I was talking to my students about science and how in many ways science is just a process to learn about various natural phenomena. Too make a long story short the conversation led to us talking about all of the things that babies are able to learn and how quickly they are able to do it. While talking about how babies learn how to walk one student muttered something, that I was able to catch she said "Its like babies just don't give up." I had to have her repeat herself for the class, and I posed the question to the class "Imagine if you never learned how to give up." A few kids quickly came to the realization that they would be some smart cookies.

These students I know are not all the best students, I know that some do not have the greatest study habits, or even grades but they all seemed to understand that if they are met with an intellectual challenge and choose to work at it without giving up there is no task they could not complete. I told these students to remember their realization this conversation and I challenge them to learn like a baby and refuse to give up until they mastered the intellectual challenges I will pose to them in the future. I myself was a bit inspired by the conversation because it was not at all something I planned. It was a conversation I planned to have but had not predicted its outcome. I was truly excited to hear these young students for the most part on their own determine that no task was to hard for them to accomplish and recognize the link between a diligent work ethic and ultimate success.

P Period out...

1 comment:

  1. I am not sure if I am more inspired by the post or the picture you posted with it! Where did you find that?!? LOL. Keep inspiring our youth...it's so necessary.

    ReplyDelete