
I am a coffee shop connoisseur. Why? Because I am a caffiend, I love being around interesting people and finally, I love the vibe of the coffee shop. Now my first two coffee shop inclinations are pretty straight forward, but the last, the vibe of a coffee shop, is a bit ambiguous so allow me to explain. The coffee shop vibe can vary, but to over simplify, for the sake of shortening this blog post (and allow me to get back to work), I will outline the basic, vibe setting necessities:
1) Magazines(the artsy kind), Newspapers(The free ones with local concert reviews, city event schedules... and over the top escort service ads);
2) Vegans, Mac users and entrepreneurs (but the cool kind like web designers, art dealers and the dude who created craigslist);
3) Mediocre art for sale from local, starving artists and grad school students;
4) Free WiFi with no blocks (i.e. access to: Twitter, FB, MySpace, LinkedIn and the emailed pictures of Nia Long' red carpet nip slip sent from your habitual line stepping friends);
4) and last but certainly not least, AWESOME MUSIC!
The last item is probably the most important. There is nothing that I enjoy more than sitting in a coffee shop and having a great sound track to accompany me as I work/blog/tweet/read engadget.com (guilty as charged). I have been introduced to some fantastic music this way and I would like to share some of the coffee shop tracks I happen to be listening to now (I am in a coffee shop in Geneva that is playing the wackness so I had to import some of my own audio):
This track is real chill, The BroSkie Malcom put me on. Artist is Nicola Conte and the song is "Bossa Per Due":
This track is super different and the artist performing it looks straight up crazy in the video, but I definitely dig it! His name is Tunde Adebimpe(he is the lead singer in the band TV on the Radio, he also starred in the movie "Rachel Getting Married" - Awesome movie, btw). "Shout Me Out" is the name of the song and it was recorded from a live performance. As you will see, he has a very unique live performance, using a voice recorder to incorporate multiple layers in his music:
This is another track from Tunde Adebimpe during the same performance entitled "Young Liars" (also recorded live):
This track is from the "Miami Vice" soundtrack. The song is entitled "Auto Rock" and the artist is Mogwai:
This track is entitled "Troupeau Bleu" and is from this French funk band called Cortex. B. Sharp put me on to this one. Enjoy:
Last but certainly not least, here is some Nina. I am such a fan of her music. This track is called "The Pusher" and is a cover for a song originally recorded by Steppenwolf (I think)... She covered so many different tracks in her career and made them better (that is so rare)... What an amazing talent. RIP. Enjoy:
Nice sampler of cuts... Keep the tap flowin!
ReplyDeleteCool tracks. The first track reminds me of this Cannonball Adderly track called Jive Samba. It has similar drums. Im also feeling that Auto Rock track from the Miami Vice soundtrack.
ReplyDelete-Keith