Thursday, March 24, 2011

What's the rush

I'm a little frustrated to say the least. Today was suppose to be my first outing with my "little" from the big brother big sister program. Today my little however was taken away by child support services. Yesterday honestly I had the time and opportunity to go and see him and I didn't because I figured it would be alright and hey whats another day. Something I know however told me to go see him yesterday but I didn't. Now I'm unsure of what is going to happen. I know it isn't the end of the world and even if I went to see him yesterday the events that led up to his current situation may have occurred anyway. This situation however got me to thinking about the amount of young men we lose everyday to the struggle of poverty, oppression, and marginalization.

It makes me think about how many of my peers holler about how 'hood' they are but rarely do I find them in that hood or any hood for that matter giving back. I am guilty too. It made me think about how some become so educated that they end up never educating the ones who need it most because their speech has become so esoteric. It makes me think of those who are so proud of their culture and knowledge of their history, but the only people who benefit are their friends who possess essentially the same knowledge. I mean really what good are we doing our sisters an brothers who are suffering in poverty if we are unwilling to connect and make a difference in these communities. If you are reading this and you do help, and you do understand the magnitude of your connection to those of us who are less fortunate then kudos to you. I hope you never lose your fire to make a difference. For those of you who are not connected and actively helping someone in the struggle then maybe its time you started.

I am sure some will read this and possibly get upset at my tone and thats fine. I hope you are angered. I hope that your feelings toward me would in some way move you to prove how amazingly effective you are at making a change in the community. Because the fact is when you are connected to a life if only for a second and you see how that life's circumstances have enveloped it and attempted to seal it away to never be lived, then you will wonder what else you can do. How else can you make a difference, how can you work to give that life a chance. You may begin to understand that there is no time and everyday our brothers and sisters that are living in poor conditions plagued by violence, lack of education, and a host of other ills are dying. Some may not die literally but many for all purposes lose their life and ability to make a positive impact on this world.

The thing about it is that you all are smart, accomplished, motivated and capable. Your skills have been given to you by the creator and are capable of changing the lives of many. Even if you only changed one life, how much did that life mean to that one person. Hmm.. You live a life you tell me how much it means to you. I sincerely hope I'm not too late and I will do my best from this day on to always make sure I'm in a rush to help, support, talk, walk, change, assist whatever I can do to make a difference in the lives of those who are less fortunate. Because after all, really all my fortune is, is just that fortune. I was blessed not because I am awesome, but because that is how it happened to happen. So who am I not to share my blessings and fortune.

Peace,
P

2 comments:

  1. For those of us that understand our calling, its hard to sit by and watch, see, contribute to the lost of faith/hope by others. That inner affinity to help sometimes causes our brain to question and body to be hesitant. We are charged by a different "fire" and though as strange as it may appear we give when no one knows, step in when every one steps out, judge not and constantly TRY to be "that" for the lost. This normalcy isn't "commonsense" to everyone....For some are bless to teach, prophesy, and others to HELP ( paraphrasing). Stay humble my friend and continue to listen when God speaks.... I pray your little home is shielded and that you Rush to do that which the lord speaks (this is how you'll be blessed) Stay strong :) and know its all in the hands of God. Peace

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always thought it would be nice to teach at a school where kids turned in their homework, but now that I do, I miss my "hood" students. There is nothing like the sense of fulfillment that comes from knowing you changed someone's life!

    ReplyDelete